Table of Contents
The RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch Mini Lathe performs as a powerful machine despite its small size. It has set the standard of mini lathes on a higher level as it can perform with excellent capabilities in its small space. This mini lathe performs other works than just the usual turning pens. Using this machine, you can turn platters, drawer pulls, hollow vessels, bowls, table legs, bottle stoppers, and even chair spindles.
If you are looking for a tested quality mini lathe, then Rikon is the brand to trust. With its proven good reputation and top performance in producing quality products, it has acquired the confidence of most customers. This mini lathe by Rikon is surely another machine that works in bigger capacities.
Quick and Easy-Access Speed Change
The Rikon mini lathe prides itself with quick-change speeds: from 430 to 810, 1230, 1810, 2670, and 36900. To adjust and change the speed, just open the access cover and then work on your way to loosen the locking arm. Next, reduce the tension on the motor pulley by raising the lever then tightening the lock arm.
Use the handle chart to help determine the spindle speed. You can also make movements with the drive belt for your preferred pulley combination. Do not forget to tighten the locking arm and to close the access cover in every change you make.
12-Position Indexing Head And Lock
The special feature of the Rikon mini lathe is its unique 12-postioning indexing head to properly lock the workpiece in different desired positions for added accuracy in work. It is located right on the top of the headstock for easy access. With the accuracy provided by the indexing head, you can easily make a detailed pattern for various projects such as drilling, layout, grooving, fluting, and more.
Moreover, the 12-position indexing head also makes the removal of chucks, face plates, and other additional accessories easily. The spindle lock can detach the face plate and the wrench just by rotating it a half turn.
Rikon 70-100 Features & Specifications
- Largest mini lathe available in the market. Although it’s quite for a mini lathe to be big, this is still what the Rikon mini lathe performs. It is small in size but is big in capabilities. It has multiple extensions for working even with larger wood pieces.
- Self-ejecting tail stock. This mini lathe does not need a knock-out bar just to remove the center. Rather, it offers a self-ejecting sail stock to reduce frustrations, time, and effort. It has a ram that can travel 2 ½ inches. The tail stock can be moved by just loosening the locking lever and relocking it on your desired position.
- Fast speed alteration. The speed change feature gives the access to quickly change the speed of the machine with less hassle. Unlike other mini lathes in the market, it does not control the speed by a lamp dimmer but rather an adjustable locking arm and lever.
- Convenient and user-friendly. Its features are easy to use and alter. It is suitable for professionals and even beginners in woodworking.
- Versatility and durability. For an easy customization and versatility, its purchase comes with a set of accessories. Some accessories have the ability to mount the device at a certain height for added comfort while working. Its design is durable and long-lasting.
- Two-year warranty. For a secured performance of the machine, it is backed by a two-year warranty that covers repair and support service.
Rikon 70-100 Reviews
The Rikon 70-100 mini lathe gathered a total product rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars from Amazon customer reviews (at the time of this writing). The majority of the customer ratings are 4 and 5 stars which prove that the machine has satisfied some customers based on these positive reviews.
According to a customer, the product was overall satisfying and impressive. Aside from the fact that it looks great, it is also durable and stable. The speed can be easily controlled and changed which adds to fast woodworking. It is perfect even for beginners because it is easy to use and does work great. It is indeed worth the price and is highly recommended for others.
Things to Improve
Some parts and tools in the machine are either too loose or too tight. Its tailstock is a little weak but can be easily replaced since it has a warranty. Some also encounter broken parts upon delivery, but these can be changed by the manufacturer upon request.
In summary, the Rikon 70-100 mini lathe is definitely among the best mini lathes according to most woodworking professionals. Its small space is ideal for small workshops and personal woodwork users. With its unique and advanced features, you surely won’t run out of things that you can do with this machine.
If you’re after a quality product that does an excellent job in woodworking, then the Rikon 70-100 mini lathe is a great find. Check out other wood lathe reviews, or check out the wood planer section.