People who have blue-collared jobs need constant protection for their bodies, especially since manual labor is their bread and butter. Jobs such as carpentry, construction, factory operations, and other similar jobs are prone to accidents and injuries. Thus, the need for protective gear is important, which includes good quality work boots.
Having comfortable work boots is essential since these shoes serve as protective gear from potential punctures from foreign objects, accidents caused by slippery surfaces, and other accidents that may occur in the workplace. These shoes are made of durable materials that can withstand the harshness of a work environment.
In order to determine the item best suited for you, here is a list of the best work boot brands that you can choose from. This article will talk about five different work boots and their corresponding features. It will also include a guide on how to choose the work boot that is well matched to your needs.
|Picture||Model||Editor Ratings||Our Review|
|Chippewa Men's Lace-Up Boot|| (4.5 / 5) |
|KEEN Utility Men's Atlanta Cool|| (4.4 / 5) |
|Thorogood Men's 814-4200 American Heritage|| (4.4 / 5) |
|Caterpillar Men's 2nd Shift|| (4.4 / 5) |
|Timberland PRO Men's Pitboss|| (4.3 / 5) |
Best Work Boot Reviews
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Work Boot Reviews
- 2 How To Pick the Best Work Boots
- 3 Considerations on Workplace Conditions
- 4 Selecting the Proper Fitting
- 5 Proper Care for Work Boots
- 6 Conclusion
First on this list is the Chippewa Men’s 6″ Rugged Handcrafted Lace-Up Boot. These work leather shoes are rated with an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars. According to customer reviews, the leather on this product is top notch. Although it can be a difficult process, waiting for the break-in is worth it because of the high quality and durability these boots offer. Moreover, users claim that it is comfortable to wear all day long while hiking, walking, or any type of occasion.
According to Chippewa, this proudly American-made top rated work boots provide durability, style, and comfort to its users. This round toe work boot is handcrafted from chocolate-colored Apache leather. It is distinctly designed to have a worn look, providing style to the boots. The vamp lining is created using a drill.
In addition to the design, these comfortable work boots have the American flag as the lace pin, a contrast midsole, and the brand logo debossed at the side. The boots are equipped with a lace-up shaft together with a D-ring hardware that measures up to 6 inches.
The construction of these quality work boots is composed of an upper leather portion and a Vibram Gumlite sole. This particular sole is made from synthetic compounds similar to rubber, which contributes to a good grip and stability for the shoes. However, Gumlite is more lightweight. Also, the cushions inside the boots are removable. These boots are long lasting and can survive for many years when properly cared for.
Overall, the Chippewa Men’s 6″ Rugged Handcrafted Lace-Up Boot is one of the best work shoes for men that provides both comfort and style.
Another product belonging to one of the most comfortable steel toe boots is the KEEN Utility Men’s Atlanta Cool Steel Toe Work Shoe. Garnering an average score of 4.5 out of 5 stats, this model is preferred by steel shoe users because it is comfortable to use and is light on the feet.
Keen’s good steel toe boots design conforms to a style that resembles running shoes, which is great footwear for both adventure and casual occasions. These leather boots are available in two colors, which include black and shitake. The heels for these boots measure at approximately 1.25 inches.
As one of the best steel toe boots available in the market, these boots offer high usage performance. Also, these boots have mesh liners that are equipped with waterproof technology. These liners allow air to flow and keep your feet dry at the same time, especially during the hot weather.
In addition to the sleek design, these breathable work boots work in diverse outdoor terrains, from city streets, beaches, and even on mountains. The Keen Company promotes HybridLife. This endorses social interaction between people on the outdoors, create and fulfill numerous possibilities, and simultaneously caring for the surroundings.
Moreover, Keen has a patented rubber outsole for these shoes that is wrapped around it, starting up and going over the boot’s toe. Its sole delivers oil resistance and non-slip features that maintain your stability, which can keep you on your legs in any surface and condition. Meanwhile, the midsole of these lightweight steel toe boots comprises of ethyl vinyl acetate (EVA), which are dual density metatomical footbeds.
Overall, the KEEN Utility Men’s Atlanta Cool Steel Toe Work Shoe is a pair of light waterproof work boots that you can rely on in any type of work.
Next on the list of who makes the best work boots is the Thorogood Men’s 814-4200 American Heritage 6″ Moc Toe Boot. It has gotten a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars in total. Majority of customer reviews note the similarity of this brand with Red Wing work boots, but these are more lightweight and can be bought with a more affordable price. Users claim that these boots are comfortable to use and easy to break in.
This is another American made work boot. The durable footwear’s upper portion is comprised of leather available with two colors, which include tobacco and black oil. It measures up to 6 inches in total with drill vamp cotton linings.
These high-quality work boots are designed to reach up to the ankles, equipped with a fine moccasin toe and a wedge sole that is cushioning in nature. It also has a rugged-looking metal eyelet and a clamshell lacing.
The 814-4200moc toe work boot has a synthetic sole. The rubber midsole is composed of a fiberglass shank that provides great support when used. The outsole is a Vibram wedge that is non-slip and oil resistant, thereby giving a solid grip. These Goodyear welted work boots also have a detachable insole. This comfort cushion has dual density and is equipped with shock absorption qualities.
All in all, the Thorogood Men’s 814-4200 American Heritage 6″ Moc Toe Boot is the go-to work boot that is dependable for any task and can be bought for an economical value.
Belonging to the work boot reviews in this article is the Caterpillar Men’s Second Shift Steel Toe Work Boot. These steel toe boots have received an average of 4.4 out of 5-star rating given by customers. User reviews reveal that these boots are long wearing and comfortable to use. Many people have purchased these boots because of the reputable brand name.
The Caterpillar Company is one of the most renowned heavy equipment manufacturers. They not only produce equipment but also have a line of the best work shoes and boots for work called Cat Footwear. For this review, the shoes are under the line called “The Second Shift.”
These rugged water resistant steel toe boots are equipped with a 6-inch lace-up shaft, together with grommets that are hex shaped for speed lacing purposes. It is single-stitched and has a rounded steel toe. It also features a plush collar, and the tongues of the shoes have CAT logos imprinted on them. There are two available color options to choose from, which are dark brown and honey.
Inside these top rated steel toe work boots, a padded collar structure is provided. This offers extra comfort when worn. These shoes can be considered as one of the most durable work boots since its construction is Goodyear welted.
These shoes make use of rubber for the soles. The outsole offers oil resistance and good grip, thereby providing protection, traction, and stability while being used in the workplace.
In essence, the Caterpillar Men’s Second Shift Steel Toe Work Boot is a work boot brand that delivers to its assigned functions and is a trusted product especially for construction and other manual labor jobs.
Finally, the Timberland PRO Men’s Pitboss 6″ Steel-Toe Boot is the last product to be reviewed on this list of top quality boots. This product has achieved an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. User reviews are pleased with this boot’s overall long-lasting feature.
These timberland steel toes are made with tough leather constructed with a durable Goodyear welt structure. It is a lace-up work boot measuring at approximately 6 inches, while its heels measure at about 1.5 inches. It is equipped with a padded collar that delivers comfort and is securely sewn with tonal stitches. The shoe tongues contain the logo patches of this brand. There are three colors to choose from, which include brown, black, and wheat.
There are many features offered by these high quality steel toe boots. According to Timberland, these shoes offer a more spacious toe box compared to other work boot brands. This gives more room for your feet and prevents any aching from prolonged use. In addition to that, they also have traction qualities that prevent accidents from slippery or wet work areas.
Moreover, the Pitboss has a hazard protection against electricity, which protects you from live circuits. In terms of comfort, these Timberland electrical hazard boots provide a sock liner that is removable. This prevents any blistering on your feet.
It makes use of synthetic soles that endorse a comfort suspension system. This assists in reducing foot fatigue while securing you as you work. The midsole of these construction work boots are composed of a polyurethane footbed that absorbs shock. It is an open-celled fabric lining that has an antimicrobial cover, which treats any bad odor. Meanwhile, its outsole is oil resistant and non-slip, further giving stability for any surface.
How To Pick the Best Work Boots
After reviewing several work boot brands, another concern that must be addressed now is the way of selecting the work boot that can satisfy your needs. Choosing working shoes can be challenging, especially if you are not well informed about work boots in general. Buying the wrong shoes will not only cost you your money but also your comfort when working.
Before anything else, it is important to learn the basics of work boots, which will be provided in this article. Also, there are many factors to consider when choosing.
Here are a few general knowledge information, questions, and tips on determining the best work boots that you can purchase.
Types of Work Boots
Work boots have different styles that offer varying functions. The shoes are designed in order to pass certain safety requirements for the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).
- Steel toe footwear is one example. These boots have a metal cap found on the toe box area. They protect the feet against compression and impact, especially the toe area when your line of work involves the handling of heavy materials. The steel toes are the perfect safety shoes for construction work.
- Another kind is Waterproof Boots. These could also be water-resistant boots. For this type, the design of these boots helps secure your feet, keeping it dry especially when being used outdoors. If you are working on wet terrain, then, it is best to pick waterproof shoes for work.
- Meanwhile, there is a kind of work boot that is insulated against electrical hazards. This type offers to keep you safe from any electrical charge. In some instances, they can withstand up to an approximate of 600 volts. Ideally, these are the best work boots for electricians.
- Next is the slip-resistant type of boots. These boots make use of special soles, providing traction for wet or even oily floors. This keeps you from getting into accidents. If you are searching for shoes that have great grip, the best option is to buy oil and slip resistant work shoes.
- For cold weathers, insulated boots are the ideal footwear to have. These provide warmth for your feet as you work. When working in the winter, use insulated safety boots.
Those are the most common work boot types available. However, the work shoes are not limited to the kinds mentioned above. There are other options to choose from, which include all-terrain boots, medical shoes, soft-toed work boots, and more.
- Name Brand and Price – the price of these shoes will vary, which will depend on several factors. These include what shoe category you pick, the brand, and the place where you purchase them. Most of the shoes produces are geared towards men’s sizes, but there are a few companies that sell women-sized work boots. Generally, it is expected to spend from $90 to $200.
- Materials Used by Work Boots – it is best to identify the features you value most in a work boot before conducting any purchase. There are many styles that offer various features. The footwear can be leather skinned, contain rubber, or synthetic materials. Also, there are several styles available that include grommet lace-up, athletic style and clogs. Choosing carefully is essential since these materials and how they were constructed can affect the features of the boots such as durability, comfort, weight, and others.
- Features Offered by Work Boots – depending on your current working condition, there are various boots that can accommodate any situation. For those who work indoors or with warm weather, leather and nylon-mesh combination boots are good for you. Usually, combination boots are less rainproof as compared to leather counterparts. However, the lightweight and flexibility features of these shoes are best for hot and dry summers.
On one hand, leather boots make use of a longer time to break in. Also, these are less breathable than combination boots. But leather shoes are very water resistant and are supportive. In addition, they last longer due to the durable materials used for its construction.
Construction of Work Boots
there are several ways on how a work boot is constructed. The only boots that can be re-soled are the boots with stitched construction. For these boots, the upper portion of the shoes is stitched to its outsole.
In contrast, cement construction work boots have the upper part glued to its outsole. These are cheaper than stitch-down boots. The strongest construction bond can be seen with these direct attach work boots. These are more long-wearing because the outsole part and upper portion of the shoes are molded.
- Cement-Constructed Work Boots – the method used for this type of construction is taking the work boot’s upper portion and the outsole. These two parts are put together and are stuck by means of special cement made for boots. Because of this, cement construction work boots have the strongest outsole. Despite being difficult to break in, these boots still offer comfort, especially when used for long periods of time.
- Goodyear Welted Work Shoes – this construction involves stitching a welt from the upper portion of the shoes to the outsole. A welt is a strong strip material, which can either be rubber, plastic, or leather. This serves as a sturdy anchor that holds the boots and bonds them together. Because of this construction, the sewn shoes become almost unbreakable, making Goodyear welt the most durable construction.
- Height of Work Boots – the usual heights for work boots are 6 and 8 inches, which are most likely to be paired together with a lace-up system. Work boots are available in different heights. These may range from 5-inch hikers to 12-inch Wellingtons.
- Differences in Height – work boots with shorter heights such as 5-inch shoes do not reach the wearer’s ankle, thereby allowing optimum flexibility in ankle movement. Meanwhile, boots that are 6 inches high provide a support system for the user’s joint. 8-inch boots give more support since these can reach higher. 9-inch boots are a bit over the base of the shin. For 10 and 12-inch boots, the boots reach mid-shin. All of these provide flexibility for the ankle.
- Lacing Systems for Work Boots – there are a number of lacing systems designed to assist the boot in properly fitting your foot. Traditional eyelets are the most common lace-up systems used. These are grommet-like rings that are pierced on the upper part of the leather. Another type is the D-ring eyelet, which is intended for fast lacing up. Also, there are metal hooks that are meant for speed lacing. These systems are sometimes combined together.
Considerations on Workplace Conditions
There are many differences in temperatures and terrains present in the workplace. These conditions require work shoes that correspond to the type of environment you are working at. It is important to pick the proper shoes for the job so that you can work more efficiently. These are a few reminders on how to pick the appropriate gear.
- Work Boots for Cold Environments – for people who are often in cold places, boots with added insulation are the best for you. These will keep you warm at all times. Wearing thick socks does not help since these will only make your feet produce more sweat without actually warming them up.
- Work Boots for Wet Places – there are shoes that are specifically made to resist water entry. There are waterproof shoes and water-resistant boots available in the market. Choose the ones that have high rainproof ratings.
- Work Shoes for Slippery Areas – aside from water, other liquids such as oil make the workplace’s floor slippery, which can cause accidents and injuries if your shoes have little to no grip. In order to avoid these mishaps, it is recommended to buy a pair of work shoes that offer great traction. Also, you can check on brands that offer non-slip and oil resistant work boots.
- Working at High Infrastructures – the ability to maneuver easily is the most important thing when working with great heights. For this need, work boots that have defined heels and strong sole traction are recommended. Aside from these factors, it is also crucial to be lightweight in nature and comfortable to use.
- Walking on Irregular Terrains – sometimes, uneven surfaces are obstacles in the workplace. These are accident-prone areas, which is why it is advised to get work boots that offer extra support at the ankle area.
- Working on Overtime Shifts – walking or standing for prolonged hours can cause stress and pain on our feet, which is why it is important to purchase comfortable work shoes. In this case, the most comfortable steel toe boots is highly recommended for those who are working long shifts.
- Hazardous Objects on the Workplace – people working on construction sites or other similar jobs may encounter rubble, sparks, concrete, nails, falling debris, and other dangerous objects that pose a great risk of accident occurrences and work-related injuries. For this scenario, boots that offer maximum protection are needed. A steel toe work boot is suggested, especially those with great ankle support, anti-puncture linings, and tough durable outer skins.
Selecting the Proper Fitting
In choosing the best work boots, it is crucial to look at its durability, performance, features, and the comfort it can offer. Try fitting on several types and brands of work shoes, and then decide what you think is best suited for your needs.
Generally, most work boots follow the same size of your regular shoes, but it is essential to remember that these boots offer extra features that may affect its feel on your feet when worn. Some boots have different sized toe boxes and various levels of heel height. Another consideration is the kind of activity you will be doing.
The temperature is also a factor you should look into. One tip is that if you are planning to buy a pair of insulated boots, it is best to get a size that is ½ higher than your normal size. This will give room for your feet if ever you decide to wear heavy socks.
Proper Care for Work Boots
Despite being durable in nature, work boots still need to be maintained regularly in order to maximize its optimum performance and avoid damaging them easily.
Clean the boots every after you use them. You must wipe them with a damp cloth, not a wet cloth. Wetting the boots might ruin their outer skin immediately. After doing so, allow these boots to be thoroughly air dried. Also, avoid exposing the boots with abrupt temperature changes.
For leather boots, regular conditioning your leather boots can help maintain the boots’ look and feel. These can be polished by using cream polish specifically made for boots. You can also put water repellant on it.
Work boots are essential protective gears especially for blue-collared jobs such as construction, carpentry, electric circuitry, and more. These gears keep you safe from any work-related accident or injury that may occur at any time. The best rated work boots are the ideal shoes to have since they are built to not wear easily and provide maximum protection together with the comfort of use.
There are many types of work boots you can choose from. They offer a variety of features. As a person working in hazardous areas, it is best to know what brand of work boot can satisfy your need and can withstand the harsh environment of your workplace. Owning some of the best work shoes for men can greatly help you in terms of protection.
Check out other Welding Products here:
- Best Welding Helmet (also here)
- Best MIG Welder (also here)
- Best TIG Welder (also here)
- Best Heated Jacket (also here)
- Best Plasma Cutter (also here)
- Best Soldering Iron (also here)
- Best Work Boot (also here)
- Best Butane Torch