Table of Contents
- 1 Best Car Subwoofer Reviews
- 2 Car Subwoofer Buying Guide
- 3 Conclusion
Today, a lot of people spend many hours in their cars, whether driving to work or heading to special activities, while others only sit there and entertain themselves through the audio systems of their vehicles. In this regard, good car subwoofers are installed by car and music enthusiasts in their vehicles, improving the entire audio system to enjoy such entertainment better.
The use of the best subs for car is very evident among the bass lovers as they find it more entertaining with a bass-thumping sound from their cars. Hence, they buy, install, and rely on subwoofers that create such unmatched sound quality.
With that said, this article will talk about the best subwoofers on the market, helping you choose among the available brands and models. The options provided in this buying guide have garnered their top spots, based on customer reviews. So, you rest assured that the products offer no less than premium quality, unmatched efficiency, and superior entertainment, packed in one!
So, without so much ado, here are the top rated subwoofers that will give you every advantage and edge in creating a killer sound system at different price points.
|Picture||Model||Editor Ratings||Our Review|
|Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 Peak Subwoofer|| (4.7 / 5) |
|Pioneer Ts-w3003d4 Sub-woofer|| (4.6 / 5) |
|Pyle PLPW10D 10-Inch Subwoofer|| (3.7 / 5) |
|NA||Alpine SWR-12D2 12" Subwoofer|| (4.3 / 5) |
|NA||Kicker CVR124 CompVR Series Car Subwoofer|| (4.6 / 5) |
Best Car Subwoofer Reviews
First up is the 4.7-Star-rated Rockford Fosgate Punch P3D4-12 1200-Watt Peak Subwoofer. It is among the best subs on the market, featuring dual 4-ohm and 12-inch subwoofer and is considered as Rockford Fosgate’s best performing in its Punch P3 Series. This monster can deliver up to a 1200-watt of maximum power handling.
Unlike its predecessor, the Punch P3D4-12 now features anodized aluminum cones, including dust caps with unique spider venting, keeping the motor cooler, compared to the old version. Therefore, this design offers exceptional heat dissipation, unlike conventional alternatives that are usually made of plastic. Hence, the anodized aluminum cones act similar to a heat-sink, dissipating thermal buildup quickly.
This subwoofer also boasts a VAST technology that increases the surface cone area of up to 25%. A FlexFit basket is also found in this model, allowing for extreme installations. Also, the Rockford Fosgate Punch P3D4-12 has the latest hybrid stamp-cast basket, which delivers the best of both worlds through an improved strength, while reducing resonance and weight at the same time.
Due to its large motor assembly, oversized surround, and unique parabolic cone design, this subwoofer tends to deliver loud, deep, and aggressive bass. This could be the loudest subwoofer, considering those designs, plus the stunning cosmetics that are worth showing off. Stitched tinsel leads are likewise integrated into the design, which is multipoint lead wire technique that greatly improves the performance and reliability of the equipment. The same feature is highly capable of withstanding extreme duty cycles, high current, and fatigue that are all crucial to the robust design.
After all, Punch subwoofers have been preferred by many enthusiasts for more than 20 years, showing that extended power handling, big bass, and stunning cosmetics should not come with a hefty price. Indeed, it is one of the best subwoofers that will give the PUNCH, while conforming to critical CEA-2031 industry standards.
Meanwhile, the Pioneer Ts-w3003d4 Champion Series PRO Sub-woofer receives a 4.7-Star rating from its customers on Amazon. This 12-inch, 2000-watt subwoofer can deliver a chest-pounding bass that you would expect from Pioneer’s Champion Series product lineup.
As part of the top subwoofers, this particular model comes with a rugged construction, enabling it to manage 600 watts RMS effortlessly. The dual 4-ohm voice coils make this item very versatile, while having the capacity to work in a ported or sealed enclosure. Thus, it can easily fit into existing systems, regardless the type of bass that you like.
Apparently, this subwoofer offers a very flexible installation as its 4-ohm DVC design can be used for 2-ohm or 8-ohm configurations; thereby, it can fit into 1.75-cubic feet or to a tiny 0.85-cubic foot enclosure. Moreover, the PRO Subwoofer is undoubtedly loud and powerful, thanks to its new design, withstanding 2000 watts of peak power, alongside 600 watts of non-stop musical power.
Structure improvements are certainly found in the Pioneer Ts-w3003d4 as one of the top subwoofer brands, including the dual spider outline that allows for an enhanced linearity. There is also a larger pole combined with thicker wire, resulting in a more accurate bass, while a larger magnet that allows for larger bass. For added durability, you will find a reinforced basket in this subwoofer.
Overall, the Champion Series PRO Subwoofer features IMPP composite and seamless woofer cone, a double-layer of elastic polymer surround, including spring-loaded speaker terminal post, larger magnet, dual spider design, and a total construction that is ideal for a sealed or ported enclosure.
Finally, the Pyle PLPW10D 1000 Watt Subwoofer garners a 3.7-Star rating. It is among the best car subwoofers that are packed with a huge punch and has been assembled with the bass lovers in mind. It is capable of creating a growling music, whether at home or in the car.
Moreover, this sub is ideal for use on almost all types of enclosures, whether open-air, vented, or sealed. It features a black steel basket, plus a non-press paper cone that appear to be very sleek. The great sound it creates is attributed to the 50-ounce magnet, 2-inch and four-layered, dual voice coil, including the specially treated foam surround.
It can be connected to an amplifier through the spring-loaded and push-down speaker terminals, allowing you to feel the Pyle power in no time. The Pyle PLPW10D is the best car audio subwoofer if you want a powerful, clean-cut, and versatile new sound. This audio solution is an epitome of performance and quality, which is certainly a sensible enhancement to your existing audio system.
The bass-bounce it delivers will surely make heads turn to your car, bringing new life and much-deserved attention to your system. It is a great upgrade for a car, motorcycle, boat, and even an RV as it has everything you need to enjoy music like never before. Without a doubt, the Pyle PLPW10D 1000 Watt Subwoofer equates to unmatched performance and excellent sound quality, adding extra punch to the entire system, packed in a steel basket for optimum durability.
Next up is the 4.4-Star-rated Alpine SWR-12D2 12″ Subwoofer, which is highly capable of bringing big bass to almost all vehicles on the road. Among the impressive features of this subwoofer is its Kevlar-constructed cone, which is the same material found in a bulletproof vest. The HAMR Santoprene™ surround is very durable while allowing for huge excursion amounts.
It could be the best subwoofer for you, considering its capability of providing accurate response, plus otherworldly thump. The new Alpine SWR-12D2 Type-R delivers a new level of performance because it has been redesigned to be a fifth-Gen subwoofer. It boasts an abundance of improved features to achieve incredible power handling capabilities, deeper bass extension, and cleaner output, combined with super-responsive control.
This extreme bass can fit in more places, offering more installation flexibility as well as application versatility in building the perfect sound system. This new design also offers almost a 20% reduction in its mounting depth, while allowing for greater output capability.
The Alpine SWR-12D2 means more excursion, which also mean more output. Thanks to its updated FEA-Optimized Motor Structure, alongside the innovative High-Amplitude Multi Roll (HAMR) Suspension system. These designs tend to withhold the highest X-max as well as SPL output within the category. Therefore, in the real world, this sub can deliver superior bass output, unmatched sound quality, and ultra-low distortion simultaneously.
Considered as the best subwoofer brand by many, Alpine made sure that this equipment offers more motor force, which is equivalent to more control. Hence, it has beyond 20% to offer when it comes to motor force than other brands, resulting in more accurate, cleaner, and louder bass, plus more control. The new magnet assembly has been incorporated into the overall design as part and parcel of Alpine’s Radial Vented VC cooling system.
In short, the Alpine SWR-12D2 12″ Subwoofer has heat-sink and airflow management systems that keep the equipment cool so that you can keep it playing. The improved power handling is attributed to the huge anodized 65-mm voice coils that offer over 35% more surface area, resulting in improved power handling to 3000 watts peak power and 1000 watts RMS.
Among the best car subs also include the Kicker CVR124 CompVR Series Car Subwoofer with an average rating of 4.6-Stars. The CompVR Series delivers extreme power handling without denting your wallet. This 12-inch DVC sub has been engineered with dual 4-ohm voice coils, making it compatible for use with a high-current amplifier once wired in parallel. It can also be used with an 8-ohm amp when wired in series.
This subwoofer can handle a lot of power, delivering a fierce sound via its tough and injection-molded polypropylene cones, alongside dependable Santoprene™ surrounds. Also, the exclusive SoloKon™ cone features a 360-degree back bracing, which goes stronger and stronger even if the bass gets heavy. On the other hand, a perimeter venting within its steel basket tends to keep the voice coils cool, resulting in a reliable performance.
With 800 watts of peak power and 400 watts of RMS power, the CompVR is highly recommended in a sealed box with a volume between 1.00 and 4.60 cubic feet. It has a superior bass technology that exceeds everything within its class and price range. Hence, this subwoofer comes from a long lineage of excellent equipment, which has evolved into the best car subwoofer, delivering the highest levels with the modest look and an installation ready to perform.
All in all, the Kicker Kicker CVR124 CompVR Series Car Subwoofer has been built to eliminate distortion and flex through its 360-degree back bracing. The unique Solo-Baric technology from Kicker drips down into the entire motor structure, which allows this sub to handle more power, while withstanding potential abuse and not to mention the sturdy pole piece that results in exceptional heat dissipation without breakdown.
Car Subwoofer Buying Guide
The reviews on the best subwoofers for cars are surely helpful if you are a probable buyer of such equipment, considering the impressive product descriptions, manufacturer claims, customer ratings and feedbacks. All these information gives you the edge and advantage of choosing between the reliable brands.
However, there are more things that you need to keep in mind such as the types, the general and special features found in subs, and many other details. Luckily, this section of the article provides you with just that kind of information.
Never forget that to make the right decision, it is important to be equipped with necessary particulars and information regarding a certain product. So, it is now time to take a look at those notes worth considering.
Nowadays, the best subs are categorized into three general types, including the subwoofer driver, the powered subwoofer, and the vehicle-specific sub. Each of the types is described below.
- Subwoofer Driver – The subwoofer driver is the woofer itself. It needs to be mounted in the subwoofer enclosure so as to operate properly. Typically, this type of sub is powered by an external amplifier. The size of a subwoofer driver varies largely, ranging from 8 to 15 inches. While it is considered as the most basic type, it is known to be the passive subwoofer, forming the basic subwoofer once installed within an enclosure.
- Powered Subwoofer – On the other hand, this type is a combination of a subwoofer and an amplifier in an enclosure. This type does not take too much space in the vehicle. It is said that a powered subwoofer produces a limited bass amount. However, it is still capable of producing good sound for mid-range frequencies.
- Vehicle-Specific Subwoofer – Finally, a vehicle-specific subwoofer has been designed to fit perfectly in inadequate areas within cars, trucks, RVs, SUVs, and other vehicles. But, this type is not highly recommended for people who want loud or big bass. Hence, it is the best choice with regards to space-saving issues because this type has been created for a specific vehicle type.
Powering a Subwoofer
After discovering what is the best subwoofer on the market, it is now time to learn about powering such equipment. When powering a subwoofer, there are two options to choose from. The first choice is going to be the model that requires you to connect it to an amplifier or two, and run wires throughout the vehicle, and then back again. The second option is a powered subwoofer that offers an all-in-one setup.
However, keep in mind that these procedures also come with corresponding advantages and disadvantages. So, learning about the pros and cons is equally necessary, before making your purchase.
It is also sensible to take note that most car audio enthusiasts prefer a standalone sub over the powered subwoofer. It is mainly because of the former’s versatility, flexibility, and authenticity, as described in each of the starred products too. Best of all, a standalone sub is much smaller than the powered counterpart, making it the perfect choice for those with space-saving concerns.
Features to Consider
Before placing your order online, you should also need to consider the following factors and features in a subwoofer.
- Power – It is very important to check the power, also referred to as the RMS power of the equipment. Make sure that the existing amplifier in your car can handle the amount of power that the subwoofer requires. Remember that all subs necessitate an amplifier (or two). While choosing for the best subwoofer for car, you will encounter different figures, and one of them will be the RMS power. Pay extra attention to this number because it will indicate how much power the subwoofer can handle in a consistent manner.
- Sensitivity – Each subwoofer has a corresponding sensitivity rating. Those with higher rating require less power in producing the same amount of sound than those with a lower sensitivity rating. Hence, such level is indicated through the decibel measurement, telling you how the woofer can efficiently transfer power into sound. Highly-sensitive equipment requires less power so as to play loudly.
- Enclosure – Another factor worth considering is the enclosure because the type of sound produced largely depends on the compartment, wherein the woofer is mounted in. Some of the good subwoofers come with enclosures, while others are not. So, buying a woofer and an enclosure at the same time can help you save time too. Meanwhile, there are customized options, making them available in specialty shops, while many manufacturers still offer ported, sealed, band pass, and open-air enclosures for potential buyers.
- Voice Coils – The number of voice coils also varies, ranging from single to dual voice coils. It is believed that the dual or double voice coils offer more flexibility when wiring the sound system. This is proven by the highlighted item in this review as most of them have dual voice coils for better installation flexibility.
- Woofer Size – When choosing the size, it is not wise to limit your options on the woofer size alone. Also, take into consideration the sensitivity rating, enclosure type, and power. If you want your audio system to play low and loud music, while having enough space, then picking the biggest model could be possible. But, never underestimate the capacity of a small woofer too, because, in spite the small size of a subwoofer, it can still perform similar to the big ones, provided that it is affixed correctly with the proper enclosure type. Referring to the featured products in this review, the woofer size ranges from 10-inch to 12-inch, with Pyle PLPW10D only with the 10-inch measurement, while the rest has a 12-inch measurement. Besides the size, also consider the weight of the woofer, which is typically an issue with smaller vehicles and trucks.
So, what are the best subwoofers today? The answer comes from the reliable manufacturers and brands. It is very important to pick a woofer model made by a trusted brand, which has a good reputation when it comes to such equipment. Among the dependable brands include Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer, Kicker, Alpine, and Pyle Audio.
Reading about customer reviews and feedbacks is equally helpful, proving that, indeed, these subwoofer trademarks offer no less than the most powerful, efficient, chest-pounding, and durable woofers on the market.
Compared to the traditional subwoofers that are made of mostly plastic materials, the devices from the mentioned manufacturers are made from durable anodized aluminum cones, steel basket, and many other impressive technologies for optimum durability. Best of all, purchasing a woofer from such manufacturer through a reliable dealer gives you a warranty for added protection.
In a nutshell, getting the best 12-inch subwoofer or a 10-inch woofer is a great addition to any existing sound system of a vehicle. This is more so if you are the type of person who usually longs for the bass-thumping sound throughout your audio system.
So, before any purchase, take into consideration the provided information in this review, including the featured products, allowing you to narrow down the choices into the highest quality and top-performing equipment on the market. Also remember the different types of woofers with their corresponding pros and cons, given the passive woofer as the highly recommended product among the available types.
All the information in the buying guide section is similarly essential when shopping for such apparatus, taking note of each feature and factor to arrive at the best product possible, and above all, an informed decision later on. The entire review provides you with different options and opportunities, a lot of useful information and tips that will hopefully help you in picking the best subwoofer for your specific needs and requirements.
Check out other Car Speakers & Radio too!
- Car Speaker (also best car speaker here)
- 6x9 Speakers (also here)
- 6.5 Car speakers (also here)
- 6x8 Speakers (also here)
- Best Car Amplifier (also best car amplifier list)
- Best Component Speaker (also here & 6.5 inch version)
- Car Subwoofer (also best subwoofer & 15-inch subwoofer)
- Best Touch Screen Car Stereo (also here)
- Best Walkie Talkie (also here)
- Police & Radio Scanner (also here)
- Marine Radio (also here)
- Emergency Hand Crank Radio (also here)
- CB Radio (also here)
- CB Antenna (also here)